A major reason for the fire that broke out in a three-storey commercial building near Metro Station in Mundka area of Delhi has come to light. Delhi Fire Service Chief Atul Garg, who was present on the spot, says that many offices were being run in this building without fire NOC. There were no special arrangements for fire prevention. A single staircase was used to enter and exit the building. Fire exit was not even arranged in the building to escape at the time of an accident.
Dr GC Mishra, former director of Delhi Fire Service, considers the flaws in the building bylaws to be a major reason for these accidents. According to him, it is very important to remove their shortcomings. Failure to do so will not prevent accidents. No matter how many safety measures you take.
According to him, it is very important to have a provision of two staircases in the fire safety rules of Delhi, which is not in our building norms. He even goes on to say that Rule 27 of Delhi Fire Service says that commercial buildings less than 15 meters in height or ground plus four are not required to obtain NOC from Delhi Fire Safety. This is outside the purview of Rule 27 of the DFS. Therefore, this building does not come under the purview of the rules.
There were talks many times to change the building by-laws, but nothing came of it. Mishra believes that it should be made clear in the bylaws that a provision of at least two stairs must be made in all buildings above ground plus one. It also needs to be strictly enforced. The
Mundka building where the fire broke out on Saturday had only one entrance and one staircase. In case of fire, this ladder acts as a chimney. Poisonous smoke fills this staircase, which causes suffocation and also becomes a major cause of death of people. He says that when the post-mortem report of the people who died in this accident comes out, it will be clear that the cause of death of most of the people has been poisonous smoke.