Since the Covid-19 surge in India is creating havoc, the new Coronavirus cases are amounting to more than 3.5 lakh cases each new day. Within the past 24 hours, the country has reported 3,52,991 new Covid-19 cases and 2,812 deaths which has reportedly broken all the previous records. Various nations including the US, Britain, France, and Germany have extended their helping hands and support as the unusual flow of cases swamps the country’s hospitals. The country is currently facing a major shortage of oxygen and ICU beds which is leading to the untimely death of the Covid-19 patients.
1. India is reporting for over 3 lakh Coronavirus cases for the fifth day straight. And approximately 10 lakh cases have been registered within the past 72 hours. While social media has become the medium of amplifying the need for medical oxygen and medicines by sending the SOS messages, when the top hospitals, patients, and their friends and families suffer through the situation helplessly.
2. The current new cases have now stretched the country’s total caseload to 1.73 crores, and 1.95 lakh people have lost their lives to the deadly virus so far. Prime Minister Narendra Modi while addressing his monthly radio address “Mann ki Baat” said that the second wave of the Covid-19 virus has “shaken the country” and the top priority of the country is now to fight the deadly coronavirus.
3. US President Joe Biden while extending support to India tweeted and said that the US is “determined to help India in its time of need.” “Just as India sent assistance to the United States as our hospitals were strained early in the pandemic, we are determined to help India in its time of need.”
4. The United States on Sunday affirmed that it will make available the sources of raw materials required “immediately” to expand the production of the Covishield Coronavirus vaccine in India.
5. British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Sunday that the United Kingdom is sending various life-saving medical equipment including numerous oxygen concentrators and ventilators. “To support efforts to prevent the tragic loss of life from this terrible virus”, he said.
6. Nations including the European Union, Germany, and Israel have also come up to extend their help. Janez Lenarcic, the European Commissioner for Crisis Management stated through a tweet, “Upon request for assistance by #India, we have activated the #EU Civil Protection Mechanism. The EU will do its utmost to mobilize assistance to support the people of IN. Our #ERCC is already coordinating EU MS that are ready to provide urgently needed #oxygen & medicine rapidly.”
7. The Indian government on Sunday stated that 551 oxygen generation plants will be set up across the country using the PM-Cares Fund. PM Modi through a tweet confirmed the news which read, “Oxygen plants in every district to ensure adequate oxygen availability… An important decision that will boost oxygen availability to hospitals and help people across the nation. (sic)”. PM Modi directed the officials to ensure the functionality of these plants as soon as possible.
8. The lockdown imposed in Delhi has been extended for one more week since the Coronavirus cases still continue to surge. CM Arvind Kejriwal quoted yesterday, “Coronavirus still continues to wreak havoc in the city. Public opinion is that lockdown should increase. So the lockdown is being extended for one week.”
9. The citizens above the age of 18 years can get themselves vaccinated from 1st May onwards as the government has increased the age limit for the same. While various states including Maharashtra and Rajasthan have promised free vaccination to all the citizens of the respective states.
10. More than 100 crore doses of vaccines have been administered across the globe, so far. And 14 crore people have been allegedly infected by the Covid-19 virus since the very first case of Coronavirus was reported from China’s Wuhan, over a year ago with over 30 lakh deaths.